Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 May 2006 16:24:43 -0700

dawn wrote:

> I might have to ask something like this on cdp to get a perspective
> from someone who knows MV implementations, but my guess is that with
> their architecture as it is, that platform would suffer more if there
> were max length constraints. So, again, I'm thinking there is
> something about the RM, though not unique to it (even if just a
> statement that attributes must be defined to it, clearly not unique to
> the RM) that encourages a strategy of implementation that would be
> well-served with limits specified on the attributes, where other models
> might have no such advantages. Did that make sense? --dawn

So Dawn,

We're 100+ posts into the thread, and correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't it been pretty much unanimous that the answer to your question is "no." The arguments in that direction have included thoughtful discussions, comparisons of design principles, and thought experiments. (Among other things.)

And yet, in post 100, you're still asking "So, again, I'm thinking there is something about the RM [...] that encourages a strategy of implementation [...] with limits specified on the attributes ..." This despite the fact that there hasn't been a single statement put forward that would support this.

When I ask a question, generally 100 posts all backing the same answer is enough for me to consider my question answered.

Marshall Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 01:24:43 CEST

Original text of this message