Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 May 2006 13:05:27 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > David Cressey wrote:
> > > "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> ignorant

> > > Is VSAM really a DBMS? I looked up VSAM in wikipedia, and the
> definition I
> > > found suggests that VSAM is NOT a DBMS, although both IMS and DB2 are
> > > layered upon it.
> >
> > I agree that VSAM is not a DBMS. I did not intend to imply they would
> > be categorized as one.

> OK. I didn't pick up on the comma before the word "like" in your original
> post. I thought you were giving VSAM as an example.
>

> Now that we've got that nailed down, on to the next issue: The consensus
> of the responders (including me) is that there is nothing inherent in the RM
> that would force declaration of a max length for character strings.

Yes. I'm trusting that, even though I don't yet know the full answer.

> There's nothing inherent in SQL either, afaik.

Good.

> There are plenty of systems
> that have nothing to do with RM or SQL that impose character limits on
> strings.

Yes, that is definitely the case (I gave the example of card decks).

> COBOL is one you should be familiar with.

We were once intimate, yes ;-)

> There are plenty of systems that have nothing to do with MV that permit
> manipulation of variable length strings,

Absolutely. Java for example.

> without an explicint max declared.
> BASIC is one you should be familiar with.

Yes (a variation thereof is the primary update language and 3GL for MV btw)

> With regard to implementation internals, how deep do you want to go?

Only deep enough to know what, if anything, encourages those who develop DBMS implementations based on the RM (however flawed...) to encourage those using the tool to put in such max length constraints, if it is the case that they do encourage such. My experience to date has been that such are required (except for things like blogs and clobs which are not the way one would implement a lastName, for example).

> With regard to increased marketability of products that work with fixed
> length strings, that's a whole different matter.

Agreed. It is a question about the requirements of the RM as implemented in DBMS's, not about relative merit nor marketability of anything.

> And it's where RM theory,
> and the design choices made by DBMS egineers start to diverge.

I don't think that I have seen anything suggesting that if the max length constraint is an added feature, the RM would be in conflict with such a decision. The RM is typing-agnostic, including length designations, IIRC.

> We could
> have a separate discussion about that.

But there still might be something in the requirements for an implementation of the RM that prompts a design that encourages developers to specify max length constraints. That is what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for sticking to the topic. --dawn Received on Mon May 29 2006 - 22:05:27 CEST

Original text of this message