Re: Mildly OT: dBASE IV

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 May 2006 11:49:40 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
<snip>
> For the next 15 years or so, I spent helping people with Rdb and/or Oracle
> databases get more bang for the buck. Perhaps that's why my experience is
> so contrary to what Dawn recounts.

Yes. I did ISAM/VSAM (and Pr1me MIDAS, also indexed-sequential) before working with DBMS's, starting with IMS (hierarchical). Almost all significant production code I have written for any companies (rather than for myself) was done with VSAM and IMS. Then Prime Information (mv), UniData (mv), Oracle, MySQL, misc others (a little Access, PostgreSQL), OpenQM (mv) & U2 (mv), all primarily in mgmt roles.

So my experience with SQL-DBMS's is much more limited than yours, but my experiences are varied with a range of data models used for stored data as well as a range of project roles. I appreciate hearing perspectives from the experiences of others, yourself included. Cheers! --dawn Received on Mon May 29 2006 - 20:49:40 CEST

Original text of this message