Re: Mildly OT: dBASE IV

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:42:55 +0300

"Frank Hamersley" <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:JzCeg.13205$S7.11478_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> My poison was Clipper Summer 87 and then 5.01 from Nantucket (the 2 gold
> releases). When Foxpro came out it was seen more as a clone of the
> dBase user environment while Clipper was a *woo hoo* compiler (well sort
> of)! I ended up using Foxpro on SCO for an app that lasted for 15 years
> before it was retired. It was fast and quite reliable.

> When M$ bought FoxPro and Nantucket went off with VO - soon followed by
> CA slurping Nantucket up, the future was writ large on the wall.

In highschool when I learned Pascal (I think it was Turbo Pascal on CP/M) in a camp, some colleagues learned DBase. I don't know the version number or the OS. I remember one from my class modified the boot floppies to display a message directed to the instructor of the DBase class (a pretty student girl).

Lots of FoxPro for DOS accounting/inventory applications are still in use here in Novelia. Clipper 5.01 ones also. What I did not liked about FoxPro, were the errors I've kept stumbling on. I'm born on 13, what can I say . :-) Received on Mon May 29 2006 - 16:42:55 CEST

Original text of this message