Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 May 2006 09:56:50 -0700

paul c wrote:
> J M Davitt wrote:
> > dawn wrote:

> This is a plea to stop this silly thread.

Honest questions might seem silly until you understand. The purpose of asking questions is to understand better. If you think it silly, then you need not answer.

> Also to humbly point out to
> those born after the fact that VSAM has as much to do with the various
> RM's as Christianity does (that OCCURS stuff was in Cobol, not VSAM, in
> fact VSAM had no notion of fields, just bytes and offsets).

I was going to point that out but thought it was nitpicking to do so. I simply redirected his point to COBOL instead. Perhaps it was not necessary to specify lengths when working with VSAM, but I only saw it done that way. From your description, it does sound like that was how it operated (bytes and offsets), but if I got that wrong, thanks for trying to correct it. --dawn Received on Sun May 28 2006 - 18:56:50 CEST

Original text of this message