Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:22:13 -0400

dawn wrote:

> In SQL-DBMS's, like VSAM (and other indexed sequential files before
> them) a lot of attributes are specified with max length constraints.
> While there are some attributes where this constraint is related to a
> conceptual constraint (from the analysis phase), these lengths are
> often introduced for the logical model or implemenation in the DBMS.

I think the question is clear enough, are fixed-length fields an intrinsic requirement of the relational model?

Short answer: no.

But they are such a pervasive element of implemented systems that they may appear to be a requirement, like the SQL language itself.

Going further, fixed widths are indefensible. RM seeks to separate implemention details from data handling, therefore a fundamentalist mindset would sooner or later fix on fixed-width fields as heretical.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.