Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 02:52:58 GMT

J M Davitt wrote:

> dawn wrote:
>

>> [OK, here is my next "stupid question" as I cut a path in my study of
>> the RM. Those teachers who just want to tell this student how ignorant
>> she is are welcome to sit this out as I really am hoping to
>> understand.]

What I find ignorant and stupid is the suggestion that field constraints have anything to do with the relational model, which places no restrictions on data types. If the self-aggrandizing ignorant had bothered to educate herself on the fundamentals instead of pursuing some idiotic agenda by comparing the flaws of seriously flawed products, she would realise this already.

>> Thanks for any insights into database attribute length constraints,
>> their purpose (is it related to output with fixed fonts, database
>> performance, size or what?), and any correlation to implementations
>> (again, however flawed) of the RM,

> The issue has nothing to do with the relational model.
>
> if there is such.  Could a vendor
>

>> write an implementation of the RM where length constraints are as rare
>> as they are in the conceptual model without introducing performance or
>> any other issues?
>> TIA. --dawn

The fact that the self-aggrandizing ignorant confused logical and physical with every word she speaks comes as no surprise. Received on Sun May 28 2006 - 04:52:58 CEST

Original text of this message