Re: Expert user vs. Internals Expert

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:02:07 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> As a consequence, many of the databases designed, by presumed professionals,
> over the years have been designed incredibly poorly. And many of these
> incredibly poor designs have merely convinced some neophytes that all
> databases basically suck. It's not true. One can get a huge bang for the
> buck out of simple and sound design of a database, and frequent re-use of
> the same data to solve mulitple problems in the same general space.

Being a relative "dinosaur", I think that paragraph is apt. One thing I noticed in many shops with many fairly big projects is that the "multiple problems" you mention were nearly always more multiple than need be. In the cases where I had to deal with those I usually found that developers or incompetent biz experts had invented requirements for their own convenience or pleasure. Sometimes I managed to get the big noises to can them but usually the project apparachiks fought to keep them alive.

magoo Received on Wed May 24 2006 - 02:02:07 CEST

Original text of this message