Re: wise words

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:20:26 +0300

"Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote in message news:abidnT91MeJOQ-_ZnZ2dnUVZ8tOdnZ2d_at_pipex.net...
> "x" <x_at_not-exists.org> wrote in message news:e4ulgq$tf4$1_at_emma.aioe.org...
> > Proverbs are made by us and only say something about us.

> Either you are equivocating or you are uttering a triviality.

I could say the same about Frank here:

Frank:>> Of course some in CDT are much much smarter than these aged wisdoms!

x:> I've read tons of proverbs but I forgotten most of them.

Frank:But that only says something about you and nothing about the veracity of
the proverbs. :-)

x:> > Proverbs are made by us and only say something about us.

> The ancient
> "us" who coined most proverbs is a different "us" than inhabit c.d.t.
today.
> Which is it?

The "us" that "inhabit" c.d.t. are the great-great-great-...-great-nephews of the ancient "us" who coined most proverbs.

     prov-erb (prov'uhrb)  n., v. <-erbed, -erb-ing>
              n.
                  1.  a short popular saying, usu. of unknown
                       and ancient origin, that expresses
                       effectively some commonplace truth or
                       useful thought; adage; saw.

folk-lore (fohk'lôr , -lohr )  n.
                  1.  the traditional beliefs, legends,
                       customs, etc., of a people; lore of a
                       people.
                  2.  the study of such lore.
                  3.  a body of widely held but false or
                       unsubstantiated beliefs.

Us are the folks.

> (This time I *am* taking the piss. Just thought I'd spell that out, so
> there's no confusion.)

Sorry, I don't understand you here. Received on Tue May 23 2006 - 12:20:26 CEST

Original text of this message