Re: wise words

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:47:16 GMT

Erwin wrote:

>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>>
>>> He was talking about Bell Labs' attempt to replace Unix with a
>>> better unix-like OS. But his words ring just as true for SQL and a
>>> host of other computing languages.

>> Replacing something that's "good enough" with something that's better
>> will only be done if that replacement can be expected to give an
>> acceptable return on the investment required. If that cannot
>> reasonably be expected, then any sensible person (and that includes
>> you, Bob) will stick with what's "good enough".

> " ... We silly monkeys place greater value on what we have than on what
> we can get. See: http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/002849.html ..."
>
> You seem to take it for granted axiomatically that indeed we CAN "get"
> that something better.  If that were true, you're absolutely right.
> But I'm a bit more skeptical.  I'll believe it when I see it.

In short, you are just close-minded or perhaps lack the ability of abstract reasoning. Given the well-known problems with 1) NULL, 2) duplicates and 3) poor support for domains or types, the fact that we can get something better than SQL is a foregone conclusion. One does not need to take that as an axiom to prove the result.

Everything you have posted here has been not only false but fallacious. Plonk. Received on Mon May 22 2006 - 16:47:16 CEST

Original text of this message