Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:06:40 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Marshall wrote:

>>>Geeze, I thought that was what I was doing. I knocked down
>>>the complaint about needing to represent time as continuous,
>>>since it's impossible, and provided the counter of how we
>>>use a discrete representation of a subset of the reals, even
>>>though the reals are continuous. I also knocked down the idea
>>>of there being a problem with applying an order to any
>>>arbitrary discrete domain.
>>
>>Cutting out the context of what I wrote does not make your response any
>>more valid. You have assumed a number of things that are not necessarily
>>true.
>>
>>First, you assume people will read beyond the first part of the exchange
>>where you conceded Joe's alleged argument.
>>
>>Second, you assume that those who read your arguments will understand
>>them sufficiently to recognize them as crushing refutations of some of
>>the remainder of Joe's bullshit instead of perhaps seeing them only as
>>establishing a second reasonable view on a controversial issue.
>>
>>Third, you assume Joe is a sincere discussant of the topic instead of
>>the someone manipulating you for his own self-promotion.
>>
>>He manipulated you into not only accepting him as an intellectual peer,
>>which he is not, but into granting him an intellectual high ground.
>
> Why does all of this matter?

Have you seen the damage Joe has done through the nonsense he publishes? He encourages the ignorant to remain blissfully so while they inflict all sorts of damage on their employers and customers. To them, it's okay because some 'expert' wrote it in a book. Received on Mon May 22 2006 - 00:06:40 CEST

Original text of this message