Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 21:23:59 GMT

"Frank Hamersley" <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:tHYbg.8004$S7.882_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> > No, I am giving a source for how management came to think that
> > overbooking was a feature and how they kludged it in the real world.
>
> Actually its a counter kludge that deals with the "no shows".
>
> Where it becomes visible is in those cases when they don't quite get the
> prediction right and someone needs to get bumped!
>
> Cheers, Frank.

Not having been there, I have no way of deciding whether Celko's assertion that overbooking was a management invention, or whether it was discovered in the course of building a reservation system, as my student asserted. I held the same view as Joe until I heard my student speak on the subject.

Either supposed history is plausible. They may even both have happened independently of each other. Received on Sun May 21 2006 - 23:23:59 CEST

Original text of this message