Re: Ping: dawn, some mvl questions

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:36:15 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148179001.594273.146590_at_38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Kenneth Downs wrote:
> > Dawn,
> >
> > One of my practical objections to MVL is that it obscures data. I'd
like to
> > know what you might offer to that objection.
>
> I'm not sure what MVL is, but I'm guessing the MV part is the Pick MV
> (multivalue). Is the L for list? language? If so, which language?
>
> > I am in the school of thought that says that if you need a list, make a
> > table,
>
> How 'bout if you need a list, make a list?

How about, if you need a set, make a table, and if you need a list, make a table?

> > that's what the RM is for. Then if you need to manipulate that
> > list, use SQL.
>
> Been there.

Been there. Still there. Have yet to see what's wrong with it.

> LIST STUDENTS WITH EVERY MAJOR != 'MATH'
>
> That will give you an idea of the charm of the queries in MV.

Charmed, I'm sure. Why wouldn't the above syntax work if the data were stored in tables instead of MV data structures?

> Let me know if that did not make sense. Thanks. --dawn

Yes, it did not make sense. Received on Sun May 21 2006 - 21:36:15 CEST

Original text of this message