Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 May 2006 10:00:37 -0700

Frank Hamersley wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >
> > I knocked down
> > the complaint about needing to represent time as continuous,
> > since it's impossible,
>
> Bullshite and all the attendant inferences that follow!

When someone posts something, just saying "wrong" or some vulgar variation thereof does not a rebutal make. If you want to show that I'm wrong about it being impossible to completely represent a continuum, all you have to do is show how. Which you won't be able to do since it's impossible. There are an infinite number of numbers between 0 and 1, so you would need an infinite number of different representations. Computers being finite and all, no can do.

Not being a physicist, I don't have an opinion on the true nature of time: discrete or continuous? But as a computer scientist, I do know that you can't fully represent a continuum.

Marshall Received on Sun May 21 2006 - 19:00:37 CEST

Original text of this message