Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2006 14:26:30 -0700

-CELKO- wrote:
> >> Well, yes. As far as as I understand it, they (DD&L) discuss a discrete (vs continuus) universe representation - at least as far as time is concerned. Why the 'but'? <<
>
> I cannot shake Zeno's paradoxes which occur with a discrete model of
> time.

Regardless, a discrete representation is the only kind of representation
possible with digital computers. You play the cards you're dealt.

For myself, I would really like it if an exact representation of pi was possible. But outside of a computer algebra system, it isn't.

> >> I'm not sure if I am getting this the way you mean it. You mean p1, p2 etc. as time points? <<
>
> NO, P# as part numbers! He uses the [<start> : <terminal>] notation
> for anything.
>
> >> During Birds [p1:p5] pink lawn flamingoes <<
>
> Exactly! See what I mean about how it does not make sense! Then they
> have PACK() and UNPACK(), etc.

If you have a finite domain, you can put the elements in order. The order
can exist and be well-defined, independent of whether it "makes sense."

I haven't read the DD&L temporal book; I neither support nor refute anything in it. However, I don't see how there can be any complaint on the basis of using a discrete representation of time, any more than one can complain about floating point numbers. Which is to say: maybe a little; it's not perfect. But not much, since it's not possible to do any better.

Marshall Received on Sat May 20 2006 - 23:26:30 CEST

Original text of this message