Re: TRM - Morbidity has set in, or not?

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 01:57:18 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> J M Davitt wrote:
>

>> Bob Badour wrote:

>>> You are confusing the physical and logical levels of discourse, which
>>> is not so surprising when discussing the network model.
>>
>> I carefully sprinkled "implement," "implementations," and
>> "implementation tradeoffs" throughout my remarks because
>> the things being emphasized are features and consequences
>> of implementations -- not the network model. Perhaps the
>> point was not sufficiently obvious.
>
> You clearly distinguished network model implementations from
> implementations of other logical data models and then proceeded to
> describe physical features that are not at all unique to the network model.

Well, yes; they are not unique to the network model. They are, however, distinguishing features of network model products -- a point which, it seems, was not well made.

> The attribution of the possibility of implementation benefits to the
> network model confuses the physical and logical levels of discourse
> regardless how many times you put 'implement' or 'implementations' or
> 'implementation tradeoffs' in what you wrote.
>

>> However, none of
>>
>>> the features above are unique to the network logical model.
>>
>> Yes. A broader statement might be, "There ain't nothing the
>> network model can do that the relational model can't do."
>
> Exactly!

Okay, that being said: it may be that a network model might suit KDs needs just fine. All else aside, they can be blazingly fast! I've seen them used to deliver virtual file systems in *nix environments and used one to implement a hardware interface device. (Not an ICE box, but a piece of VME hardware that looked like a process to a Unix kernel - but was actually a process on another box. Way cool.)

Perhaps I should also emphasize: they can be incredibly difficult to modify. One might consider prototyping with a relational implementation with the intention of implementing on a network implementation. Received on Sat May 20 2006 - 03:57:18 CEST

Original text of this message