Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 19 May 2006 17:00:07 -0700

>> Well, yes. As far as as I understand it, they (DD&L) discuss a discrete (vs continuus) universe representation - at least as far as time is concerned. Why the 'but'? <<

I cannot shake Zeno's paradoxes which occur with a discrete model of time.

>> I'm not sure if I am getting this the way you mean it. You mean p1, p2 etc. as time points? <<

NO, P# as part numbers! He uses the [<start> : <terminal>] notation for anything.

>> During Birds [p1:p5] pink lawn flamingoes <<

Exactly! See what I mean about how it does not make sense! Then they have PACK() and UNPACK(), etc.

>> I'm still wondering wether my interpretation of your questions is correct. <<

Yes, and it really is that crazy for a set of unordered distinct elements whose names can be put into a sorted order. It crossses logical and physical bounds and makes no sense.

>> Not as such, removing Tuesday from an interval over cyclic weekday points renders two weekday intervals. <<

But I cannot remove Tuesday (the time period whose name is "Tuesday") from the cycle. About 40 years ago, the US had an animated cartoon on the Captain Kangaroo Show called "Tom Terrific"; in one episode, the villian found a way to remove the weekend so the kids would have to be school all the time and coudl not play. It was so absurd that young children could laugh at it.

[Monday:Monday] ...
[Wednesday:Thursday] ...

Does not destroy [Tuesday: Tuesday] -- you mean that your entity was doing something we do not know about in that time slot. That model does not apply to Parts.

>> Heh - it would become a strange week indeed. <<

The WB television network in the US did a series of advertisements for extra days of the week in which children could watch their cartoons.

I granmt that we could l go back to the Roman and African ten-day cyclces, but this is just re-naming. In the DD&L model, I can actually create new temporal periods. Received on Sat May 20 2006 - 02:00:07 CEST

Original text of this message