Re: The OverRelational Manifesto. VOCIFEROUS IGNORANCE vs. NUMB DOGMA.

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2006 12:14:46 -0700

JOG wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >
> > In the US we say "brevity is the soul of wit."
>
> Yes, a great quote from that famous US citizen, William Shakespeare.
> (cough ;)

Hey! I didn't say an American said it; I said we say it in America. :-) We go around all day in our SUVs, wearing cowboy hats, and quoting Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and the Beatles. It's common for junior high school students to get in to fights over who was the better prime minister, Gladstone or Disraeli. Youth gangs often identify with either the late romantics or the Victorian poets, and have rumbles about Shelly vs. whoever, sometimes dressed as members of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. Just the other day, I read a poem by Christina Rosetti at a wedding, and a rival gang of Byronites almost started a riot.

"When I am dead my Dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me, ..."

My new favorite Shakespeare quote: "He jests at scars that never felt a wound." Appears immediately prior to a much more familiar quote.

Marshall

PS. There was actually a Disraeli reference on Family Guy a while ago, so you know I must be telling the truth. Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 21:14:46 CEST

Original text of this message