Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Nikolai Onken <nikolai.onken_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2006 08:33:57 -0700

> With all due respect, inifinite is about capacity and the impossibility
> of representing each of an infinite set of values in a finite space.

I am not talking about having an infinite amount of events at the same time and i revised my condition of having to query overlapping infinite events! It is absolutely obvious that that is not possible.

Whats wrong with the following representation of an infinite event:

datetime_start: 2005-12-24
datetime_end: NULL
repeat: every year

I could even store it on a Floppy :)

> At best, you stated a tiny proper subset of the requirements for what
> you are doing.

You say so :)

> As I said, anyone who gives you detailed design advice online is a crank.

You say so! Thanks for the book hint though :)

Have a look at sitepoint.com - maybe this can be an inspiration on online advice...

Though i get your point, but I am not asking advice on the entire db design of some application. I am asking whether the design proposal I posted would be a good one for the conditions I gave - to more experienced people than me..
Regards,

Nikolai Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 17:33:57 CEST

Original text of this message