Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Nikolai Onken <nikolai.onken_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2006 07:54:03 -0700

Hey Volker,

thank you for your reply!! Thats what I was wondering! How long could Outlook actually run..
I think the best solution for my case would be to have three tables:

events:

datetime_start
datetime_end
name
description
other_fields

event_exceptions:

datetime_start
datetime_end
replacingperiod_datetime_start
replacingperiod_datetime_end
name
description
other_fields

event_rules:

datetime_start
datetime_end (if NULL = never ending)
repeat_pattern
name
description
other_fields

Then I write the data into the events table according to repeat_pattern and event_exceptions...
This at the same time will enable me to run queries on future events and have some sort of support for infinite repeating events.
Would anyone concider this a workable design for a calendar? The repeat pattern could then easily be using CRON Syntax or some user defined syntax which will be executed by the application or by the database if it supports events...
Regards,

Nikolai Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 16:54:03 CEST

Original text of this message