Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:08:15 GMT

Nikolai Onken wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>Why would you stop at 3056?

> I was thinking: I want to add a new event with no defined ending date
> and a pattern like 'every 1st monday and 4th tuesday a month'..
> Then the program should tell me 'You already have an event on the 16th
> of february 3056'.
> I know that all this isn't possible but I am just curious what the
> closest solution would be.

The closest solution would be very well described in the Date/Darwen/Lorentzos book. I don't know why you would think it impossible if you simply altered your requirement to accept large finite ranges.

>>I assume you could not possibly have obtained a copy of the
>>Date/Darwen/Lorenzos book and read it in the seven minutes
>>it took you

> Indeed I haven't read the book yet :) I am having trouble finding the
> it.
> Are you referring to 'Databases, Types and the Relational Model' by C.
> J. Date, Hugh Darwen?

No, if you look on Fabian Pascal's books page, http://www.dbdebunk.com/books.html , it is the one just below that:

/Temporal Data and The Relational Model/

Oh, and I see I have been misspelling Lorentzos. My apologies to everyone and particularly to the author.

> Thank you for your replies!
> Regards,

You are very welcome. Received on Tue May 16 2006 - 19:08:15 CEST

Original text of this message