Re: TRM - Morbidity has set in, or not?

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 May 2006 21:20:12 -0700

J M Davitt wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
>
> > I can't find
> > anything to suggest that it's anything besides a traditional column
> > store.
> > Various parties, including FP himself, have on occasion said, "oh no,
> > it's much more than that" but they don't back it up at all, so their
> > claims are unevaluable.
>
> It *is* much more that a column store storage scheme. I don't know
> whether you've read a description of TRM, but it features (a) a
> not-so-surprising ordered collection of observed values, (b) a mildly
> clever permutation and inverse permutation index, and (c) a very clever
> "record reconstruction table."

Your paragraph above seems to me to be a pretty good description of a column store with a fully inverted index. My understanding is that these techniques are decades old.

Now, it is possible that "transrelational" is something more than that, or not; I have no way of evaluating any given statement about it. So far.

Marshall Received on Sat May 13 2006 - 06:20:12 CEST

Original text of this message