Re: More on Database cells, and other terminology

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 May 2006 10:57:39 -0700

Bill Karwin wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
> > Bill Karwin wrote:
> >> "COMPUTED BY"
> >
> > Other than syntax, how does that differ from a view or a snapshot?
>
> Very little difference. Perhaps instead of "there is also..." I should
> have said, "similarly..."

Although a view is a virtual table (modeled by a mathematical relation) and a computed column is a virtual attribute (modeled by an element in a relation tuple).

A snapshot is a materialized (or persisted/stored) view.

> I was trying to give another example of a metadata object that contains
> an expression in a column.

It worked for me. Cheers! --dawn Received on Tue May 09 2006 - 19:57:39 CEST

Original text of this message