Re: Lucid statement of the MV vs RM position?

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 07:40:57 GMT

Jon Heggland wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:

>> Jon Heggland wrote:
>> All of the above is syntax. You point to two different productions in
>> the grammar and claim that only one can be an aggregate. However, this
>> is not true. In both situations above, SUM is an aggregate function.

> I don't dispute that; please pay attention. I'm saying that SUMMARIZE is
> not an aggregate operator; in particular, it is not SUM. SUMMARIZE
> produces a relation; SUM produces a number. Is your point that you
> actually want to use the same name for these two operations? Why?
>
> All your arguments are just "Yes, it is!". It's like Monty Python's
> Argument Clinic. If you want me to understand your point of view, please
> respond to the concrete questions I ask you in other posts.

LOL - you might be heading for Bobs killfile!

>> As I said previously, you focused on form while Marshall and I focused
>> on function.

> As I have said, and as Marshall now agrees, you are talking about some
> GROUP that you have made up yourself, while I talk specifically about
> Tutorial D's GROUP. Trivially, if you define GROUP to be an aggregate
> operator, it *is* an aggregate operator. However, it is not the Tutorial
> D GROUP.
>
>> Do you have a particular objection to the productions D&D chose in the
>> grammar of their tutorial language? If so, which production(s)? How does
>> changing the production(s) improve the language as a language? We might
>> agree with you, and we might not.

> Why do you keep bringing up this straw man? I have already said once
> that I don't object to Tutorial D's grammar!

Hmmm - no risk mitigation is bringing up the "straw man" - only Bob is allowed to cast such nasturtiums with abandon! :-)

Regardless you have got my interest - will read (properly) your past posts.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Tue May 09 2006 - 09:40:57 CEST

Original text of this message