Re: Storing derived and derivable data

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 13:14:24 -0400

dawn wrote:

> Hmm. I guess I do think about derived data as columns rather than
> rows. Other than aggregate rows, I'm having trouble coming up with
> derived rows -- can you give an example?

well I said only aggregate in an earlier post, but I had forgotten about another case :(

Consider a generic list of things that must be done to complete a job, such as documents required to move an animal from country A to country B. The documents required vary by country, so you have a list of which documents are required by country.

When a job is created, you want to COPY all of the rows for Country B into the JOBS_DOCS table. The user can then override these defaults by deleting or disabling some rows and adding new ones, but the original copies came from the master list.

How do you describe this copy command? Right now I do this in the client code (gasp!) It's on my list of things to think about someday.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.