From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 May 2006 18:21:45 -0700

While I appreciate VC and others' erudite refutations (really!) for me the issue is much simpler.

Does programming language X have natural join? Does it allow me to use the relational algebra in a way that is at least as easy at it is in SQL?

If not, please don't bother claiming a basis in set theory. No, having a turing-complete language that you can put a relational library in doesn't get you any points either; what's in some library isn't the basis for the language, and it won't meet the requirement of the previous paragraph either.

Subtyping polymorphism, while certainly convenient, no longer holds any theoretical interest for me.

Marshall Received on Mon May 08 2006 - 03:21:45 CEST

Original text of this message