From: vc <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 May 2006 19:10:57 -0700

mAsterdam wrote:
[..]
> vc: intuition and FOL don't get together well

In this case, you may want to reconsider your career choice.

 > >>. What about (a, b, c, d ) <--> { a, b, c, d } ?
> >

> > What about it ?
>
> list-to-set, list-equality vs. set equality.

What about "list-to-set, list-equality vs. set equality" ?

[...]
> >>I don't care about construction of a set, if I can denote the set.
> >

> > If you do not care about constructing a structure, how do you intend
> > to use something that you have not constructed in any programming
> > language ?
> >

> >>Example:
> >>1.3 of R.
> >

> > And this shows what exactly ?
>
> That we mean 1.3 as a member of the set R.

Since you did not construct R and apparently do not have it prepackaged for you, how do you intend to use something that does not exist ?

> >>pi is also
> >>not an approximation, it is pi. I am free to choose a representation where
> >>pi were exact.
> >

> > I'd be curious to see such representation.
>
> Pi.

That's the best you can come up with ? that's not a representation that you can operate with it's a name of the ratio of a circumference lenth to its diameter. So what's the exact representation of pi ? Received on Sun May 07 2006 - 04:10:57 CEST

Original text of this message