From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 17:39:34 GMT

vc wrote:

> J M Davitt wrote:
>

>>Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

>>[snip]

>>And I've felt that Leopold got it backwards: the reals are
>>real, integers are perceptions.
>

> So Pi or e are more real to you than two or three of your friends ?

We're talking numbers, not friends. It has to do with the perception of "integer-ness." Take a tree.

"How many trees is that?"

"Uh, one."

Cut off a branch. "How many trees is that?"

"Still, one."

Hmm. Removing a branch didn't change it's tree-ness. But if you continue removing branches, eventually the answer will be, "That's not a tree; none." And the branches removed aren't counted. But they're there.

As to friends: some are better than others. If my best friend is 1 friend, is someone who is less a friend, say, 5/8 friend?

My point is that decimating a continuum of values and quantizing those values as integers seems to be a perceptual phenomenon. Sure, it's soaked in convenience and "common sense" -- so much so that any time spent thinking about it seems wasted. And, yes,the formalists may get tied up in a chicken and the egg conundrum - "Are integers a subset of rationals? How can you have rationals without integers?" - and I certainly don't have the answer. All I was doing was thinking out loud...

>>Human hubris leads us to
>>the belief that perception is reality.
>>
>>[snip]

> It is if you mean 1 and 2.

Yup. And isn't that what the quoted post was describing? Received on Sat May 06 2006 - 19:39:34 CEST

Original text of this message