From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2006 09:39:29 -0700

> Can you give 'real' examples?

What is real vs unreal? As far as I can tell, everything that exists in this universe is real and this includes thought/ideas whether to your liking or not. If john and mary are not to you liking, try the Food Judge Example C. It's got apples and tomatos :)

> relationship(john, like, mary)

In your last example, it appears you have choosen to classify "john like mary" as a relationship. I say appears as I am not sure which rule you are applying (try replacing each name with an arbitrary letter and see if you can determine the relationship between them ie. a(b,c,d) ). Is it a fixed/conventional rule that if a function has 3 parameters, then the function's name is to classify of all the parameters as a whole?

But more importantly, I wouldn't actually classify relationships for two reasons:
1) It is something that should be derived. 2) There are way too many relationships to actually classsify them all and then which ones will you choose and on what basis. For example not only is there a relationship between john and mary, but there is a relationship between john and like; and there are relationships between symbols within each word; and there are more relationships that are not obvious as the human mind's high level of abstraction, obscures them.

> No I did not.
> No I won't.
> No, you got wrong what I did.
> As said I didn't even look at earlier scripts
> This time I /did/ use and modify an older script

Your question about things and has made be question some things. I need to clear up something that I am not sure is correct. Below is a isA-hierarchy where john and mary are persons, red and blue are colors. Is there a level above person and color as denoted by the question marks? And what is its name? I have asked this question many times over many years and gotten different answers. Recently Nick said it was an atom. However an atom is something specific to Prolog and related to that which it uses to represent things. Can you clarify this?

???

   person

      john
      mary