From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 06:46:40 GMT

Alvin Ryder wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>Alvin Ryder wrote:

>>>Hmm, yes and no.
>>>
>>>The original RM was defined circa 1969/70 but was then extended by Codd
>>>(and others) many times and in many different directions. For instance
>>>in '79 Codd wrote "Extending the Relational Model to Capture More
>>>Meaning".
>>>
>>>Why extend the RM if it was set in stone and never needed maturing?
>>>
>>>He writes, "The intent is to capture (in a more or less formal way)
>>>more of the meaning of the data so that database design can become more
>>>systemetic and the database system itself can behave more intelligently
>>>..."
>>
>>I suggest, as soon as one sees someone anthropomorphize computers, one
>>should question the direction the person is headed.
>>
>>>But once we try to capture the "meaning" of data to provide more
>>>intelligence in the db, we enter a wide open never ending pursuit. Now
>>>we are not using sets in a blind way.
>>
>>We never were using them in a blind way. Instead of all this useless and
>>irrelevant crap, why don't you try to answer what Marshall actually asked?
>
> Because instead, I tried to kindly point out the RM didn't stop
> developing and maturing in 1970. It has moved on. Sets may be devoid of
> domain semantics but the (advanced) RMs are not.

Horseshit! You are so fucking ignorant it is not funny. Anthropomorphizing computers is regressive. Computers do not understand anything and meaning is irrelevant to a computer. The RM is a formalism for correct symbolic manipulation.

>>>The areas I identified previously are widely accepted as worthy of such
>>>research and extension.
>>
>>I will grant that among ignorants those misconceptions are widely
>>accepted. But I suggest you not rely on the opinions of ignorants.
>
> I'm not the one unaware of the limitations of the original RM.

Really? Then name one single fucking relevant limitation you moron.

> Actually I'm not ignorant, I'm stupid.

Wrong. You are both.

> Clearly I won't be learning more about current advances in the RM and > database theory here.

Until you open your mind, you won't learn anything anywhere. Plonk. Received on Tue May 02 2006 - 08:46:40 CEST

Original text of this message