Re: Shared game-data (was: Storing data and code in a Db with LISP-like interface)

From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2006 16:25:21 -0700

[Quoted] Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> >In business systems it is desirable to normalize the data, lets just
> >discuss first normal form, all attributes are atomic.
>
> >OTOH game objects contain some atomic types but they also contain
> >pointers, other objects, trees, collections ... which is all very
> >non-atomic and very non-normalized.
>
> Wrong. It is evident that you don't know the Relational Model very
> well. That's why you don't see its relevance in game programming, which
> is evident for people with a good understanding of the RM like Bob and
> Marshall.

[Quoted] Alfredo, exactly which part is wrong?

[Quoted] Are you saying the RM does not advocate normalization? [Quoted] Are you saying first normal form doesn't require atomic data? [Quoted] Are you saying objects used in games, or any OOP, don't need to contain references to other objects, trees or collections?

[Quoted] If I'm wrong I'll admit it but why don't you show me the errors and provide the corrections?

Cheers. Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 01:25:21 CEST

Original text of this message