From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2006 11:52:51 -0700

> > > Jan: It is possible in F-logic which, loosely speaking, is a kind of Prolog.
> >
> > Neo: Is F-logic implemented?
>
> http://flora.sourceforge.net/ Of course, you can use an SQL DBMS as back-end as it is trivial to see how it's data model (like yours) can be mapped to it.

:) Would you like to give it a try, since it appears trivial? I may need to extend the simple example to evaluate it. From the link, it appears Flora-2 (An Object-Oriented Knowledge Base Language) needs a backend like the XSB Inference Engine (Nick from Microsoft had also mentioned this) and didn't mention anything about SQL DMBS. I imagine the XSB Inference Engine is a turbo-charged version of Prolog's engine. But if it is based on nested link lists or RM, it will not be able to represent things as systematically/flexibily/generically as dbd.

>>> Neo: I never heard of F-logic. Am I re-inventing it also?
>>
>> Sure you have heard of it, and yes you are reinventing it, in a rather clumsy way.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.theory/browse_frm/thread/25796d3618319af5/c2073454e7423807?q=Normalizing+Every+Thing+with+XDb2&rnum=1#c2073454e7423807

:) My face is flushing a deep red!!! You and x already realized that I was clumsily on the "F-track" as far back as at least July 04. No wonder x keeps asking for that double-secret operator. And even back then he wanted me to get rid of the parentheses :)

You had remarked to x, "However, [xdb2, now dbd] looks more like a clumsy version of the data models of F-logic (frame logic) and RDF, because relationship (relators, whatever..) themselves are also objects in the instance".

Unfortunately I didn't realize the significance of your comments to x back then. Let me read over the 104-page Novel Formalism called Frame Logic and see how much I have re-invented and if I need to rename it db for the clumsy :) Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 20:52:51 CEST

Original text of this message