Re: Functional dependency is multivalued dependency

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:45:21 GMT

paul c wrote:
> Mikito Harakiri wrote:
>

>> The proof of proposition 8.2.2 (page 164, the Alice book) begins with
>> observation that given three sets of attributes X, Y and Z such that
>> set Z complements sets X an Y in the relation header of the relalation
>> I, the pi_XY(I) /\ pi_XZ(I) is always a superset of I. Is it obvious?
>>
>> In RL we do it in couple of steps:
>>
>> (XY \/ I) /\ (XZ \/ I) <= I  ?

> Question - in the RL approach, if pi_XY(I) is (XY \/ I), what does XY
> stand for? (eg., if XY isn't a projection, is it a 'bag'?)
>
> BTW, 8.2.2 seems to be Heath's theorem, but Alice book doesn't seem to
> mention that.

(I wasn't expecting that it would be a 'bag', it's just that I thought the symbol '\/' stood for semi-union which I think RL intends to operate on relations.) So if we start with the value I that has X and Y attributes, how do we get a value for XY without projection?

p Received on Sun Apr 30 2006 - 16:45:21 CEST

Original text of this message