Re: Beautifiul Mind: Thinking about Dijkstra

From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis_at_SystematicSW.Invalid>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:20:10 GMT

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal/book/pascalimplementation.html

>I'm sure I remember a professor explaining that Pascal's text file
>handling was like *that* so that it was possible/easy to write Pascal
>compilers in Pascal, and that the first compiler for the CDC was
>compiled by printing out two sets of the source code, laying them on
>the floor side by side and manually running one with the other as input

http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal/ansiiso.faq "In 1969, a bootstrap compiler using Fortran as the implementation language was completed. Although the compiler was written in Fortran, the idea was to rewrite the compiler in Pascal itself, and so bootstrap the compiler.
Wirth called that project unsuccessful, and instead, a Pascal compiler was written in a subset of the full Pascal language and translated by hand to a language called SCALLOP on the CDC 6000 computer, and thus bootstrapped."

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis_at_CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply