Re: Shared game-data

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:09:57 GMT

Alvin Ryder wrote:

> mAsterdam wrote:
>> Alvin Ryder wrote:

>>> mAsterdam wrote:

[..]

>>> Multiplayer games are typically implemented using a client/server or
>>> peer to peer architecture. Only a relatively small amount of game state
>>> needs to be broadcast and shared because each player runs their own
>>> instance of the game, all the static game assets are duplicated.
 >>>
>> Would you agree that this scheme wouldn't work for massively
>> multiplayer games?

> Yes, I reckon you're right, that's what I've heard.

[..]

Interesting - I had presumed the bandwidth constraints would put even more pressure for each player host to hold as much game as possible and apply/generate the state change messages on a minimalist basis. Of course this is not "efficient" use of resources but I can't see how you would scale up endlessly a centralised server solution.

Of course in a large game terrain not every player needs to be known to every other (over the horizon invisibility if you like). However you would need some serious smarts to know how far any particular state change event must be promulgated if run as a massively distributed execution engine.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Sun Apr 30 2006 - 09:09:57 CEST

Original text of this message