Re: Shared game-data

From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2006 23:47:26 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Alvin Ryder wrote:
>
> > mAsterdam wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Alvin,

> >>ISTM a multi-player game is a good metaphor for business sytems.
> >
> > I see what you mean the metaphor has some appeal but ...
> >
> > In business systems it is desirable to normalize the data, lets just
> > discuss first normal form, all attributes are atomic.
>
> How about we go back to you answering the simple and direct question I
> put to you earlier: Do games programming or ai realms need to manage data?
>
> If you cannot answer that question, you opinion regarding the RM and
> these realms is worthless.

Bob you aren't being fair, first I asked you some questions but you didn't answer them, does that make your contribution worthless?

I first asked you to explain how the RM is useful to ai and games?

Please understand that to get the edge in games programming we'll do virtually anything, we'll draw from all and any branches of computer science, math, physics, ai, music, art and whatever else But the strange thing is no games programmer I've met bats an eye lid over the RM, they'd laugh at the thought. If you care to explain its relevance and what we're missing I at least will be glad to hear it.

Oh, and to answer your question: Yes, of course we do need to manage data. I'm sorry I didn't reply but someone beat me to it they said "Yep" (and I was going to say Yes ;-)

Cheers. Received on Sun Apr 30 2006 - 08:47:26 CEST

Original text of this message