Re: Beautifiul Mind: Thinking about Dijkstra

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:08:09 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> "Rich Ryan" <rryan_at_cshore.com> wrote in message

>> I'm a programmer from the mid 70's. At that time the language of choice

> was
>> Pascal and I think PL1. Both were very expressive in an algothrimic way.

> The
>> seminal work was "A Discipline of Programming".  And also ""The Elements

> of
>> Programming Style" ala Strunk and White.
>>
>> Rich

> In the mid '70s, I was doing some extracurricular programming in Algol. I
> didn't run across Pascal until 1980. A few years later, I ran across a
> book, "Pascal with Style". Very good book. I think we should be teaching
> elements of style to beginnig programmers.
>
> I think Pascal was (is) a good language. I wish there were a language that
> does for OOP what Pascal did for structured programming.

Reaches for "Pascal User Manual and Report 2nd Edition" published by Springer-Verlag 1978 evoking memories of a prof mad about recursion and Pascal as the language to teach it! It looks like it was typeset on a CDC 132 column line printer and diagrammed by hand.

Cost $8.00 AUD in 1979, value...priceless!

Cheers, Frank. Received on Fri Apr 28 2006 - 15:08:09 CEST

Original text of this message