Re: Beautifiul Mind: Thinking about Dijkstra

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:49:16 GMT

"Rich Ryan" <rryan_at_cshore.com> wrote in message news:5kb4g.11880$%m4.8463_at_newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> I'm a programmer from the mid 70's. At that time the language of choice
was
> Pascal and I think PL1. Both were very expressive in an algothrimic way.
The
> seminal work was "A Discipline of Programming". And also ""The Elements
of
> Programming Style" ala Strunk and White.
>
> Rich

In the mid '70s, I was doing some extracurricular programming in Algol. I didn't run across Pascal until 1980. A few years later, I ran across a book, "Pascal with Style". Very good book. I think we should be teaching elements of style to beginnig programmers.

I think Pascal was (is) a good language. I wish there were a language that does for OOP what Pascal did for structured programming. Received on Fri Apr 28 2006 - 13:49:16 CEST

Original text of this message