From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:56:26 +0300

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1146107981.719540.254830_at_g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Don't say flexible data, 'cause that's machine code.
>
> And I didn't :) Having a data model that provides a
> systematic/general/flexible method of representing things is different
> than the flexibililty afforded by machine code. If anyone would like to
> represent the data in the next Food Judge Example with machine code, I
> will take a serious look at it.

Have you tried to read and understand Codd's books ? You will also find machine code in them. You will also find natural language code in them. :-)

> Representing things is the foundation for all computing including
> RMDBs, LISP, Prolog and OOP. Any limitations at this foundation
> eventually limits the full potential of tools built on top of it. One
> cannot faithfully process that which it can't represent.

Define representing.

> > Perhaps I'm one still plugged into the Matrix,
> > Neo show me the truth what exactly are you trying to solve?

> To find the most general/flexible/systematic method of representing
> things. Since you (and LISP users) have experienced freedom that is
> difficult to achieve via RM or OOP, you are already nearly out of the
> Matrix :)

I think you are looking for nonmonotonic reasoning and knowledge bases. For those, Prolog is a kind of machine code. :-)

> > I'm not saying go away, the world is not mine to dictate
> > but can you give us some OO connection to work with?

> The OO connection comes later which is to a great extent dependent on
> processing of data. Currently I am not focused on data processing. I
> want to first make sure I have the flexibility to represent anything in
> a systematic manner.

I'll suggest that stating the problem is the problem. :-)

> > YES Prolog can do pretty well everything you've asked of it
> > but we're only repeating ourselves now.
>
> While there were a few minor issues, overall Prolog was able to
> represent most things in the dbd's Food Judge Example B. So now we
> extend to Example C.

You might look at the newest Prolog succesors for ideas, but I strongly suggest you to get an understanding of formal systems and read the books written by Codd. Received on Fri Apr 28 2006 - 11:56:26 CEST

Original text of this message