From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2006 21:47:18 -0700

Neo wrote:
> > I missed any messages where RM had difficulty.
>
> It is possible you may not have seen all the messages, if accessing
> this thread via comp.object. Comp.databases.theory has the most
> complete postings.
>
> Currently the RM schema at
> http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CourtRoomSchemaExample cannot store data to
> represent the things in the Court Judge Example. If you believe
> otherwise, please provide the script to populate with data and we can
> perform some queries to verify if the RM solution is equivalent.

I assume you mean something like all the different things that a Judge can possess. Actually a similar situation comes with fix-assets or inventory tracking. Remember that a warehouse can also be an "owner" of a thing.

One way to do this in RM is have things reference the owner.

table: widgets

widgetID
(etc...)
ownerRef // ID reference
warehouseRef

Here either the owner ID (employee number) or a warehouse ID is specified, not both.

Another approach is an "association" table with an entity indicator:

table: stuff_assigned

thingRef
(etc...)
owner_type // (entity name such as "emp", "wrhse", etc.) ownerRef // owner ID f.k.

-T- Received on Fri Apr 28 2006 - 06:47:18 CEST

Original text of this message