Re: Multiplicity, Change and MV

From: David Cressey <>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:16:31 GMT

"Frank Hamersley" <> wrote in message news:X5E3g.16141$
> David Cressey wrote:
> > "DonR" <> wrote in message
> [..]
> > I think relational purists underestimate the ability of professionals
> > us to live in an eighty-twenty world, and not get swept away by the
> > of silver bullets. But that's a topic for another discussion.
> To be fair to the RM purists though, the advances don't come from
> accepting the 80/20 situation.

I think that's the difference between database design and DBMS design.

A person designing a DBMS should look at existing DBMS products with an eye to improvement or even radical reform. A person designing a database may have to accept an 80/20 world or wait for a better product to come along. Received on Wed Apr 26 2006 - 20:16:31 CEST

Original text of this message