Re: All hail Neo!

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:26:45 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> David Cressey wrote:
>

>> "mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message
>>
>>> Which? You mean between "I don't have a killfile" and "my killfile is
>>> empty"? HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>> In the context of a discussion on actual content, rather than
>> etiquette and
>> personalities,  I find the distinction between "empty"  and "doesn't
>> exist"
>> quite interesting.

> It is interesting. It is the difference between dee and dum, between 1
> and 0, and between true and false.
>
> In that line of thought, here's an interesting question that Date et al
> have posed before to the n-VL folks:
>
> If "exists but empty" is true and "doesn't exist" is false, what is null?

Neither and both!

Its paradoxical in 3VL while obvious in 4VL - however the latter FWICT adds no benefit to the truth table.

While null is not my favourite aspect of the RM, I remain to be convinced that D is not a manifestly worse proposition. Perhaps you et al can sway me?

Cheers, Frank. Received on Sat Apr 22 2006 - 23:26:45 CEST

Original text of this message