From: Nick Malik [Microsoft] <nickmalik_at_hotmail.nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:20:37 -0700

"Alvin Ryder" <alvin321_at_telstra.com> wrote in message news:1145612336.633597.267200_at_i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Neo wrote:
>> .
>> Thanks for the above info. It seems the focus of Prolog and my db (with
>> LISP-like interface) are quite different (at least at this time). While
>> Prolog's primary focus seems to be deducing answering based on
>> questions and data stored in linked lists; the focus of the
>> experimental db is to provide the most flexible method of representing
>> things.
>
> Hi Neo,
>
> Prolog is not based on linked lists, it is based on something very
> different namely "facts" and "rules" these give rise to incredible
> flexibility and power.
>
> I encourage you to at least take a good look at Prolog and LISP. You
> may be able to get off to a flying start by begining with one of them
> and extending? They'll at least give you some very interesting ideas
> and I reckon you'll have fun - I know I did.

<<snip>>

It is good to see someone else who understands Prolog.

It is one of the most fun languages you can use. I have to say that I learned more about knowledge representation, information theory, and deductive analysis while coding in Prolog than in any other activity in my life.

I'm thinking of teaching Prolog to my middle-school-aged kids so they can get a head-start on understanding how knowledge representation drives association and deduction.

--
--- Nick Malik [Microsoft]
    MCSD, CFPS, Certified Scrummaster

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
   I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer.  I'm just a
programmer helping programmers.