From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 16:20:19 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:
> Alvin Ryder wrote:
> > In addition to RM like representations they [prolog and lisp] can also represent
> > knowledge for rule based expert systems, frame based reasoning, case
> > based reasoning, various abstract data types, graphs, natural language
> > grammers, machine learning ...
>
> Wow, a tool that excels at so many things! There must be something
> wrong with the industry that have seen puny adoption of both.

Yes that's right lisp and prolog do excel at so many things.

As for adoption, when I did my post grad studies, which included ai, I could not get away from them they were everywhere but in commercial enterprise I rarely see them.

The games sector keenly wants ai but many programmers appear to be re-inventing the wheel by ignoring vast volumes and decades of ai research, they do so at their loss.

One major game studio I know of has developed their own LISP environment for the Sony Playstation, I guess they take their ai more seriously than most.

Game engines are most written in C++ but games scripts and ai can be implemented in higher level languages. I'd hate to do any ai in C++ and I'd much rather LISP for it.

Cheers ;-) Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 18:20:19 CDT