From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 14:00:04 -0700

Sasa wrote:
> take a look at
> http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html
>
> "During the years we worked on Viaweb I read a lot of job descriptions.
> A new competitor seemed to emerge out of the woodwork every month or so.
> The first thing I would do, after checking to see if they had a live
> online demo, was look at their job listings. After a couple years of
> this I could tell which companies to worry about and which not to. The
> more of an IT flavor the job descriptions had, the less dangerous the
> company was. The safest kind were the ones that wanted Oracle
> experience. You never had to worry about those. You were also safe if
> they said they wanted C++ or Java developers. If they wanted Perl or
> Python programmers, that would be a bit frightening-- that's starting to
> sound like a company where the technical side, at least, is run by real
> hackers. If I had ever seen a job posting looking for Lisp hackers, I
> would have been really worried."

And if they were asking Maple or Mathematica he would be really freaked out? I don't understand what technical excellence has in common with success on marketplace. That is assuming that "hacking Lisp let alone Perl" has anything to to with technical excellence. Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 16:00:04 CDT