Re: All hail Bob!

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 10:58:16 -0700

>>> The question then becomes, how do you confront someone's ignorance without being rude to the person?

>> :) This is easy. Just demonstrate it. For example, if someone says the following data (ie judge example) is difficult in RMDBs but easy in Db for Dummies, just post the script to do the equivalent so that others including the dummy can verify it. Verification is the key.

> Clearly it is not easy if the given person refuses to be receptive to the arguments presented to them.

:) Sure it's easy, just backup your presented arguments with something verifiable. For example, if a child argues that a knife isn't sharp, even after presenting theoretical arguments such as it is made out of 1020 stainless steel and very thin on one edge, then actually demonstrate that it is by slicing a very ripe tomato. Ultimately verification, not end-less argumentation is the key.

> http://members.aol.com/intwg/antiprocess.htm As an example, you keep asking people to post SQL, when it is clear that the onus is not on others to refute you, but rather on you to convince them. If one cannot do this it should be back to the drawing
board.

I have already shown that my car can run a never before tested track in 10 seconds. Now you want me to get in your car (you being Richard Petty at his pinnicale, having demonstrated to be the fastest car driver in the world) and show you it can't? Now suppose, I take your car for a lap and it either comes in at 12 seconds or worse yet never makes it around the track, would you believe the results? Or would you want to jump in the car and prove it otherwise by yourself?

If you say that you would believe my results, then here is my run: CREATE TABLE T_Thing (ID, Name);
INSERT INTO T_Thing (1, judge);
It didn't even make it around the track, so I can't report a time for comparison.

How will you realize that your car actually might not be able to go around this track without some accidents, until you (Richard Petty, King of the Hill) give it your best shot? Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 19:58:16 CEST

Original text of this message