From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 08:43:55 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Alvin Ryder wrote:
> > Neo wrote:
> >
> >>I believe I have already surpassed RM. And as far as I can
> >>tell, linked-lists are not even as flexible as RM.
> >
> > I agree linked-lists aren't as powerful as the RM but LISP and Prolog
> > are not merely about lists.
> >
> > Both Prolog and LISP can represent information and indeed knowledge
> > well beyond the RM, that's why they are popular with the ai community!
>
> Given the standard definitions of information and knowledge, that's a
> rather astounding claim. Do you have anything that might back it up?

I'm sorry I don't have anything formal, the comment is simply based on the notion that the RM can capably deal with entities and relationships whereas LISP and Prolog can do that and much more.

In addition to RM like representations they can also represent knowledge for rule based expert systems, frame based reasoning, case based reasoning, various abstract data types, graphs, natural language grammers, machine learning ...

Of course RDBMS provide many industrial grade features but the original poster's concern was about flexibility and the kinds of problems described appear to have already been solved by Prolog/LISP.

> [binary relations snipped]
>
> > Now you can have pretty complex relationships and ask all sorts of
> > queries. Who likes who, who studies what, who teaches what, who is
> > who's parent/grandparent ...
>
> Can it handle n-ary relations? Like "John bought 10 apples each at
> 10cents" ?

Yes.

Cheers. Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 10:43:55 CDT