Re: THe OverRelational Manifesto (ORM)

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 10:05:46 -0700

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

> >Incorrect. There is never justification to use such words. Never.
>
> That's your opinion.

Correct. When you are reading a usenet post, you can scroll up to the top to see the sender of the message. That is whose opinion you are reading.

> >This does not mean one cannot strongly refute others' ideas.
> >But the above words don't address ideas at all, do they?
>
> They can be used to describe a big part of the ideas posted here.

They can be so used, but they should not be so used.

> >They
> >hypothesize qualities of the opposite speaker.
>
> Sometimes with a very high certainty degree.

That has not been my experience.

Regardless, even if this were true, there is still no justification for abusive language.

> Forrest Gump's mother said stupid is what stupid does.

Indeed. That is why, when I am discussing issues such as civility with people who are ignorant on the topic, or who have some innate difficulty with it, I try to be patient and polite, in the same way that I try to be patient and polite with those who are ignorant or who have difficulty with technical subjects. Likewise, I hope for patience and politeness from my superiors in whatever field or context.

Sometimes I fail, of course; such is the human condition. But I still try.

Politeness is the hallmark of civilization; in its complete absense, civilization itself is impossible. I am not exaggerating.

> >In fact, I believe the best way to raise the level of discourse
> >on this newsgroup would be for extended further reading. In
> >particular, I am thinking of Miss Manners.
>
> I disagree. Polite nonsenses don't make a higher level of discourse.

Civility and intelligence in discourse are independent; you have drawn a false dichotomy. Notice how I am able to rebut what you have said without calling you an idiot. If I had, in fact, referred to you with an insulting name, my abusive language would have distracted from my actual point, rather than strengthened it.

In fact, the level of intelligence in this group is what it is; abusive language doesn't raise or lower it. All that abusive language can do is to make it a less pleasant place to be. How is that a worthy goal?

Marshall Received on Wed Apr 19 2006 - 19:05:46 CEST

Original text of this message