From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2006 06:30:46 -0700

> It does not matter if you picture data as *lists, tables, trees, circles, graphs, networks*. The only thing that matters is what operators do you have. You can picture a relation in any way you like but ultimately it is the algebra or calculus that counts.

Based on you assertion, it appears you are lacking some operator, algebra or calculus as you are unable to apply the ones you do know to solves the presented problem. Please demonstrate otherwise. I will restate the problem again briefly (see earlier posts to Roy Hann for details).

Create a function that given a hierarchy and a thing in the hierarchy returns the root. In C, it might look like: getRoot(hierarchy, thing) or getRoot(parent, adam) or getRoot(child, god). Each thing can be in any number of other hierarchies. Not only should the function work for things/hierarchies entered (in db or something roughly equivalent) prior to writing the function but also for the same or new things in new hierarchies specified after the function is written! The initial data includes the following persons in a parent/child hierarchy:

god (root parent)

__adam & eve
____abraham
______issace & ishmael