Re: THe OverRelational Manifesto (ORM)

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 23:27:28 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:iPZYf.55634$VV4.969687_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> U-gene wrote:
>
>> ". the "The Third Manifesto" is formal and logical. However, The
>> OverRelational Manifesto (ORM) cannot unconditionally accept the claims
>> of the "The Third Manifesto", because, in our opinion, the
>> premises, which are its basis, are incomplete.

> It sounds pretty stupid and rather useless to me. Exactly what problem
> does it address that is not already addressed at least as well?

The problem is called "data processing". The incomplete premises of the RM cover the data but not the process, with the result that other theories need to be harnessed in order to manage the processing of data. For example, the RM does not have an atomic element, or definition of anything related to a formalised line of SQL code that we might call a program, yet such code has been stored in RDBMS (as stored procedures) for almost a decade.

The usual place for Date to mention this in his massive amounts of literature
on database systems theory is by way of a small diagram in introductions in which we find a box with "database" and another (separate) box called "application software".

The problem is that everyone accepts as "good enough" a theory of data all by its little lonesome self, whereas what is actually required in the fullness
of time is a theory of data and of data processing.

--
Pete Brown
http://www.mountainman.com.au/namaste_2006.htm